Thursday, June 24, 2010
Good Animal management is
Providing and offering-:
* Regular Feeding schedule, ....daily
* regular dental checks
* adequate worming
* providing a good water supply of clean water
* making any changes in diet gradually
* a regular exercise regime, if space is limited, take alpacas for walks, they just love it, if not, make access to a larger paddock
* feeding good quality feed, lucerne is one of the alpacas favourite, althoug I recommend lucerne chaff, as there is less wastage, make sure the feed is not mouldy, or musty* do not overgraze pastures
* regular rotation is essential of your paddocks.
* if space is restrictive, Pick up Poo piles regularly
* Regular Body scoring, this is essential if you do not have scales to weigh your alpacas regularly, at the same time just roll your hand over the body just feeling for any lumps, or abcesses.
* good record keeping
* regularly check in ears, (looking for grime guild up, which could mean mites).
* regularly check between the toes when you cjip their toe nails.
* if in doubt, always call your vet....other alpaca owners will always assist, but may not have the knowledge or experience your vet has....he is always your no 1 call
* check fences to make sure there are no sharp ends that could injure, and the fences are able to keep your stock in, and predators out.
Enjoy your alpacas.