Monday, November 8, 2010

Dangers of taking someone else's medication

Back to the Airport this morning, was there last night, again tomorrow morning, Wednesday night, Thursday morning, Thursday night, Friday morning.. a big week this week, and the last thing we need is for any one of us, (Raelene, Rob 7 Elyse), to get sick.
Elyse and Rob were so sick last week. we went out for dinner, to a beautiful Pub, an old favourite, whether or not it was a touch of food poisoning or just a gastro, both Elyse and Rob, were violently ill last week, or for the past 6 days.
So to draft the animals last night, to go through 600 animals, and pull out 100, for last nights trip, by the time we got through that, and the drive.
No one else at the airport, loading so it only took 45 mins, where other times, with Trucks going in and out constantly, dozens of fork lifts zooming around, it can take ages, but it was quiet and all went smooth.
Then the drive home, that is when it catches up on you.
Rob seemed ok last night, and up again at 5.30am, to start drafting another 100 animals, and then load them and start to drive into the city again.
Rob woke up with a touch of hayfever, so, he took some Zantec, that usually clears him.
But this year is so strange, we have had so much rain, it is unbelievable.
Different grasses and weeds are coming up, and Rob's hayfever persisted, just as we were leaving, Rob raced inside, unbeknown to us (raelene & Elyse), who were driving in the car, as Rob drove the truck.
We have a box of our tablets beside his chair in the loungeroom, on a side table.
Elyse placed the silver tablet packet on this table, and when Rob went inside, he thought i better take another Zantec, so that this hayfever will not take hold.
Approx 10 mins later, driving into the morning sun as we headed off into the city, Rob's left eye started to itch like as it would if there was something in it.
But as Rob has virtually been bedriden for the past almost week, he has not got anything in his eye.
We get to the Airport, and start unloading.
just a few hassles unloading.
There was alot of activity there as the forklifts buzz here and there, and the staff, were loading up the ULD's, with the parcels to go onto the planes, and others calculating weights etc.
Menzies is so organised, they are a great team to work with.
Then as the morning went on, with i think the amount of climbing Rob had to do, as he moved each animal to the crate, and bending down and then standing up, He was starting to feel very bad.
As soon as we stopped loading, i have to go and get the final health certs and take them to the airport office, so that they can be attached to the crate, and the AWB are corrected if they need any corrections.
Rob said i will meet you at McDonals, i need a coffee.
McDonald's is just about 3-4 kms away.
By the time we went and got the health cert, and then went to the office, etc, maybe half an hour had passed before we got to McDonalds.
Where is Rob.
The truck was there in the car a dark corner, Rob was sitting there, hat over his eyes, is he asleep?
As we approached him, he said, i cannot see.
My eye is killing me, and my vision would be under 50 %, and my left eye is affecting my other eye, and it is hard to open my eyes, and the glare, i cannot see.
I cannot drive home, i cannot see.
Elyse went and got Rob a coffee.
He was in agony, so Elyse went and got some painadol, just near there is a shopping centre, so she raced over there and went to a chemist, who gave him an eye bath.
He placed the solution in the little tub, and as he put it to his face, he said oh that is soothing my eye.
It helped a little.
Elyse decided to go with Rob in the truck, she usually drives me in, as i still getting over my illness from early this year.
As i followed them down the freeway, I could see, that the solution helped Rob a bit, and Elyse rang me said to go straight home, as Lauren had organised a doctors appointment.
I had not been feeling ell, with the constant giddiness still apparant, and my ankles swelling again, which were some of the first signs of my illness at the beginning of the year.

Finally Rob and ELyse got hoome, and i was waiting for them, as my sister Dianne helped Rob out of the truck, and escorted him to my waiting car, we drove him straight to the doctors.
A new doctor in town who was quite good.
She checked everything out, but at this stage the agony Rob was in, he could hardly lift his head.
He has two ulcers on his cornea. What trauma has caused this, she got another doctor in to check as well.
He also said what have you done, Rob said my eyes were itchy but i just rubbed them, no there has been more trauma to do this.
Rob was in too much agony and it is hard to watch a strong person, to be so much in pain, that he was almost beside himself.
We came home, and Rob, said to my sister, maybe another zertec may help.
He said to her those tablets there.
Dianne said these tablets, and he said yes they were the ones i took. Dianne said these are not Zertec, these are something else.
Dianne bought them into me, who had just also got home, to a dozen messages, and calls, and i said no they are my tablets.
rob was about to take my tablet (now we realise, that when he went inside he took my blood pressure tablet, he did not have his glasses on and picked up the silver paper), rang the doctors, he took the wrong tables which threw his blood pressure up, and has done something to his eye, we have to go to a specialist tomorrow.
But still his agony ios apparant.
We are off top the airport tomorrow, morning, so we hope he will be ok to drive, if not, elyse, lauren and Jesse, and myself will be driving vans and trailers to the airport.
It has been so constant, and very tiring.
But Rob he just said i have never ever ever felt this before, and wow, i just hope his eye is going to be ok, it is looking horrible at the moment, looks as through it is ready to burst.
The moral to this story, put your glasses on before taking tablets. and make sure you are taking the right one.
Thank goodness he asked Dianne for the tablet, and she noticed it was not the tablets he was suppose to have taken, i would hate to think what a second tablet would have done to him.

No comments: